It's a shame this place is so dead

Talk about anything here not covered in other forums.

It's a shame this place is so dead

Postby KitanaFan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:01 pm

So, I was an active user on here back in the day. I've been different Mortal Kombat sites over the years, but this was the first one I actually joined. Well, just recently, this site popped into mind, so I thought I would check it out to see what's going on (I last posted in here in 2014). And wow, it sure is completely dead in here. Really, I think the site's former closure back in 2008 (or was it 2009?) that ultimately killed it. Even when it came back, it just wasn't the same anymore.

Keep in mind, I'm only talking about activity-wise. This is not to say that I hate this site or anything.

What do you guys think? Do you miss this site?

I'm sure some of you still lurk around.
KitanaFan
Skilled Kombatant

Re: It's a shame this place is so dead

Postby SonyaLover » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:57 pm

I do agree with you on how dead the forum has become, but I'm sure everyone has stuff on their plate right now or maybe completely forgot about. I think forums, including this one, have been dead for awhile. Even Mortal Kombat Online is going through a slump. Granted they update on stuff about Injustice and whatnot on the main page, but even then it isn't as active as it once was. I do miss everyone from here though and I always hope that some of the older members come back but it's a long shot.
SonyaLover
Skilled Kombatant

Postby KitanaFan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 pm

SonyaLover wrote:I do agree with you on how dead the forum has become, but I'm sure everyone has stuff on their plate right now or maybe completely forgot about. I think forums, including this one, have been dead for awhile. Even Mortal Kombat Online is going through a slump. Granted they update on stuff about Injustice and whatnot on the main page, but even then it isn't as active as it once was. I do miss everyone from here though and I always hope that some of the older members come back but it's a long shot.

I think it's more like a lot of the older users aren't even aware that the site came back, and those who stuck around got so bored with how dead it was and left. That was the main reason I quietly left, actually.

But yeah, it's true that the majority of forums out there aren't as active as they once were. It's all about Reddit and stuff these days.

So, who right now is even paying the servers to keep this site up? It's been over two years since the main site itself was updated.
KitanaFan
Skilled Kombatant

Postby SonyaLover » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 pm

Some were aware and some did come back, but like you said, it's probably not what they expected anymore since it is dead. We can only hope for a resurgence. Whoever is handling the Twitter account though is active and updating it with current things such as The Atom for Injustice 2. That post was on the 3rd.

As for who's paying for it, I have no idea honestly.
SonyaLover
Skilled Kombatant

Postby KitanaFan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm

SonyaLover wrote:Some were aware and some did come back, but like you said, it's probably not what they expected anymore since it is dead. We can only hope for a resurgence. Whoever is handling the Twitter account though is active and updating it with current things such as The Atom for Injustice 2. That post was on the 3rd.

As for who's paying for it, I have no idea honestly.

Maybe when the next Mortal Kombat game gets closer to release or something? Then again, there's hardly any discussion on MKX here, so we could always discuss that game more too.

Yeah, I noticed that about Twitter. Kind of weird, if you ask me.

Kamidogu.com seems to be pretty dead too.
KitanaFan
Skilled Kombatant

Postby SonyaLover » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I doubt it. The site wasn't even updated when XL came out so I don't think the site is on anyone's radar right now. It's very unfortunate.
SonyaLover
Skilled Kombatant

Postby adamDMK » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Welcome back KitanaFan, it's great to hear from you again!

Also, glad to see you're still lurking around here and championing for DMK, SonyaLover.

I pay the hosting bills around here and have since our return in 2010. We returned as a full site in 2011 mostly because Dave, Holy Grail, and I had the itch to make DMK great again. #MDGA :] And, we really did miss all of you guys.

Holy Grail handles all of the social media (as in our Twitter and Facebook pages) currently and Dave was active on our YouTube channel up to a couple years ago I believe.

Truth be told, like you both said, MKO, Kamidogu, and some of the other "big name" sites are also pretty dead lately. I think the online experience for the typical Mortal Kombat fan end-user has changed dramatically since our success in the 2000s. People want instant gratification and to stay connected via their social media. That's why most people would rather get their news from their Facebook or Twtiter feeds. And yeah, Reddit seems to be dominating the online discussion market. To be successful in 2017, you need to have a real "omni-channel" experience for your end-users.

I also think a lot of the newer generation doesn't have the same attachments to forums and probably view them as a bit antiquated to be honest. Long story short: end-users simply won't flock to DMK for news or discussion on our forums anymore, so we just really haven't put an emphasis on that stuff lately. I still firmly believe that we have some of the best Game Guides out there, but, that will only pull in a certain amount of traffic.

In 2017 and going forward, we can only be successful by offering original and unique content and giving people a reason to continue coming back to DMK. Podcasts, news analysis, original thought-provoking pieces, etc.

But to be honest, Grail, Dave, and I are all in our 30s now with families, career responsibilities, and/or just other offline interests. I'm in no way using those as excuses for the lack of updates, it's more of a reality that DMK won't always get prioritization in our lives. It also doesn't help that typically there are several years between the release of MK games. If you're not covering Injustice, there's just not a lot of new stuff to keep you afloat for 4 or so years.

I've contemplated closing the forums (and even the site as whole) down quite a bit over the past year or so. While the monthly hosting fee isn't anything out of this world, its still some more change I can save a month that really has no return on investment for me right now beyond nostalgia purposes. Grail and I in particular talked about monetizing DMK, but, take what I said above having unique content and put that on steroids for us to see a true return on investment there.

What does this all mean for the future of DMK? I'm just not sure. While there are days when I'm ready to pull the trigger and shut DMK down, there are other days when I want to revamp everything, take the site into the future, and bring in tons of new traffic. There's always a possibility Grail, Dave, and I will all get that itch again and we'll be super enthusiastic about making DMK great again.

I hope that helps give you guys some transparency and insight on the state of DMK and I do thank you both for caring about the site, even when it's so dead!
adamDMK

Postby SonyaLover » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:42 pm

That does clear up a lot, Adam and thanks for the reply. As for shutting it down, though it will be tough to see it go (again), you guys have to do what's in the best interests for it as well as the saving money part, too. And then if the site is going to be taken to the future, that'll be awesome. Either outcome, I completely understand. And like you stated, you all have families to take care of and other ventures and I'm sure everyone else has things to take care of as well.
SonyaLover
Skilled Kombatant

Postby KitanaFan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 am

It really is a shame, because I still prefer forums over social media any day. Forums are just funner to post in.

Seeing more effort put into the site again would be nice. But I understand how busy you guys are, so until that happens, I'm just going to remain lurking.

Either way, there were some fun times to be had on this site, and I do like going back and reading older posts from time to time.
KitanaFan
Skilled Kombatant

Return to General Discussion